Hopeville, Iowa was a little village long before 1850. In the late 1870′s the people of Hopeville considered the question of paying some attention to their graveyard or selecting a new one. They decided the old one was unsuitable for many reasons, and appointed a committee to select a new site, which they have done, and if the people decide at their next meeting to approve the action of the committee, the ground was to be purchased. It is expected, in this case, that there would be a general removal of the persons buried in the old graveyard by surviving friends. The work of surveying the new cemetery and laying it off into lots was in progress after which the process of re-interment would begin. Twelve acres have been secured for this purpose.
The work of removing bodies from the old to the new cemetery progressed. Not all the graves were moved; some of the old stones remained for many years, but all are gone now.
The oldest grave in the double cemetery is the son of one of the founders of the community of Hopeville, dated 1851.
The older part of the Hopeville double Cemetery is called the “West Side” and the new part the “East Side”. It lies on the north side of the gravel road leading into Hopeville going west, the driveways going into both the Old West and New East, containing identical steel archway entrances.