John A. Page was born in Woodburn in 1921. He was educated in the schools of Weldon and Osceola and served in the military during WWII in the Military Police returning to Iowa after the war.
Page was married to Bernice Carson in 1947. They were the parents of two sons, David and John.
Page spent most of his life in Clarke County working as a jeweler. Page Jewelry was located at 108 S. Park, one block east of the square. (Two doors south of Masonic Lodge)
In addition to selling jewelry, Page did all kinds of jewelry repair, he sold guns - antique and modern, BB guns, cannons, Daisy air rifles and pellet guns, and revolvers. He sold Elgin, Bulova, Hamilton and Boral watches, Speidel watch bands and ID’s and parts for all electric shavers, parts for all watches, watchbands and clocks, cigarette lighters, Super X Rifle and shot gun shells, power telescope sights, and brand new transistor radios with a full year guarantee.
Mr. Page died in 1971 at the age of 49. At the time of his death, the Clarke County Historical Society was organized and the museum was located on the second floor of the Dalby building on the east side of the square that was then owned by Mickey Thomas who provided a rent free place for the museum.
1977 the Clarke County Historical Society purchased the John Page house restoring the interior of the two story house for a museum to display historical artifacts, it was called “The History House.” After a few years Historical Society members saw a need to expand the museum and in 1981 the society purchased land on South Main for the museum complex and later sold the house on Park Street.