The Clarke Community High School Drama and Music departments will be honored in several categories during the 2021 Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Showcase on Iowa PBS July 9. The program, presented by EMC Insurance Companies, will honored the school’s achievements for its November production of Mamma Mia!.
The broadcast will begin at 8:30 p.m. July 9 and will feature highlights form several musical productions from Iowa high schools. The productions were submitted for adjudication and featured performances will be recorded at the Des Moines Civic Center in early June.
Don May, director of over 50 Clarke productions, will be recognized during the Showcase. He will receive an Impact Award for the adults who are involved with the shows.
Clarke senior Kennedy Bland will perform an excerpt from her award-winning role in Mamma Mia! as Donna Sheridan.
Clarke Community High School will also be recognized with the following awards and honors:
• Distinguished Scene – “Voulez Vous”
• Outstanding Student Orchestra (for the second consecutive year)
• Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Kennedy Bland as “Donna”
• Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Dan Hill as “Sam Carmichael”
• Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Derik Hill as “Harry Bright”
• Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Tori White as “Tanya”
The directors of the show Mamma Mia! were Karina Kelso (musical director), Donal May (stage director), Mary Pohlmann (vocal director) and Emma Bolton (student choreographer). The show was performed on November 13, 14 at the Clarke Community High School auditorium.
Additional honors and recognitions for all 78 schools in this year’s program will be available in a special online gallery at DMPA.org that will launch on July 9, 2021 in tandem with the Iowa PBS broadcast.
IHSMTA is a yearlong, signature education initiative of Des Moines Performing Arts.