A new monument to commemorate the Second Union Church was placed at the site of the old church on the first corner south of Union Cemetery, by the Trustees of Madison Township on Aug. 28.
Trustees include Raymond Johnston, Ethan and Amanda Abbott, Dwaine and Anne Welker, Dave Borness and Carlene Burnett. The stone was donated by Carlene and the late George Burnett, and was set in place by Indianola Memorial Works.
The first Union Church was built in 1868, and in its place in 1891 the Second Union Church was constructed. In 1922, a basement was built under the church. Like many rural churches, attendance began to dwindle and the last service was held in 1956. In 1966 the Southern Iowa Methodist Conference sold the church to Madison Township. The building and its contents were sold at a public auction. The ground is now an addition to Union Cemetery.