The first-ever Firecracker Fun Run was held on Friday, July 4, in Osceola.
Osceola Chamber Main Street put on the inaugural 5K/1 mile run/walk as a way to help people get more active in the community and to allow people something to do prior to the Fourth of July parade.
More than 100 adults and children participated. Those who had registered by June 30 were entered into a special prize drawing the day of the event.
“We were very pleased at the great turnout we had for the event,” said Chairperson Victoria Millen. “When you start something new, especially on a holiday weekend and so early in the morning, you never know what kind of turnout to expect.”
The race registration started at 6:30 a.m. and the race began at 7a.m.
Those participants in the 5K run left the Mosaic parking lot and made their way out to Biggy’s restaurant.
They turned around at Biggy’s and made their way back to the Mosaic parking lot via a different route.
The walk-only participants left the Mosaic parking lot and made their way to Lincoln Street before coming back down Jefferson to Jackson Street and ending at the Mosaic parking lot.
“It was great to have the race and be able to get so much community support,” said Derek Lumsden, executive director of Osceola Chamber Main Street. “This was a wonderful event and it would not have been possible without the help of the street department, the police department, Mosaic, Clarke County Hospital and all of the great volunteers that gave up their morning to make the event work.”
At the conclusion of the race, prizes were given out in the following categories:
• Fastest Walker (Time-13:54): Amy Lundquist
• Fastest Runner (Time-21:04): Andrew Hamer
• Fastest Fourth of July Themed Walker: Jacob Capps
• Fastest Fourth of July Themed Runner: Clayton Barr
• Best Fourth of July Themed Family: Danny, Jenny, Troy, Jake, and Amber Keller
• Best Fourth of July Themed Group: Megan and Mindy Oswald, Seth Baumfalk and Brock Brokaw
• Best Decorated Stroller/Wagon: Aimee Berry
• Best Overall Fourth of July Themed: John Reynoldson
• Early Registration Prize Winner: Peggy Shannon
“We have gotten a lot of great compliments on the race and a few suggestions for next year that we are looking to incorporate,” Millen said. “This was a great event and we want to thank the community for all of their great support. We couldn’t do what we do without your input and support.”